NEW versatile moisture adsorbing polymers protect tiny and complex spaces from humidity within optics and electronic equipment
VMAP is a blend of desiccant crystals suspended in a polymer which is capable of adsorbing moisture, odors and organic volatiles in sensitive electro-optical equipment.
Many electro-optical applications requiring protection from humidity use desiccant bags or dry gas purging to protect the air space within an enclosure. The downside to these solutions is that applications are becoming smaller each day and these solutions are becoming less feasible.
VMAP is ideal for applications with complex shapes and limited space as it can be molded into any shape or size. VMAP provides a rigid structure which can be readily fixed in place using fasteners, adhesives or other mechanical retention methods. The ability to mold and machine the material allows for low cost prototypes to be quickly produced.
- The average rate of adsorption for the Wedge is 0.3 mg/hour or 7.4 gm/day
- The average rate of adsorption for the Claw is 0.2 mg/hour or 4.2 gm/day
- To reach 10% by weight adsorption for the Wedge is approximately 1,200 hours
- To reach 10% by weight adsorption for the Claw is approximately 800 hours
- Polymer: TCP
- Desiccant: Molecular Sieve
- Operating Temp: +90°C to -40°C
- Adsorption Capacity: 9-12% by weight at 50% RH at 22°C
- High adsorption capacity, 9-12%
- Wide operating temperature range
- High strength & stiffness
- Moldable for complex spaces
- Excellent electrical insulator
- Controlled adsorption rate
- Can be reactivated
- Low dusting
- Maximum space utilization
- VMAP material is very easy to mold and machine which allows for low cost rapid prototyping.
- Airborne Sensors
- Medical Devices
- Circuit Boards
VMAP works just like any other adsorbent. As VMAP is introduced to humid ambient air it will begin to adsorb moisture and organic volatiles. Just like desiccants, VMAP has an adsorption capacity by weight, meaning that it can only adsorb up to a certain percentage of its weight before it becomes full saturated.
Desiccant bags have been a common solution to protect optics and electronics from moisture contamination, but as electronics have developed they continue to become smaller and smaller every year. VMAP is ideal for applications with tiny and complex spaces where a desiccant bag could not be used.
VMAP is not only limited to filtering out moisture, but it can also filter out other contaminants and organic volatiles.
- Optical sensor cavity protected by Drytech custom molded VMAP polymers.